Week 1 Feb 3-9
Week 2 Feb 10-16
Week 3 Feb 17-23
Week 4 Feb 24-2
Week 5 Mar 3-9
Week 6 Mar 10-16
Week 7 Mar 17-23
Week 8 Mar 24-2
RecycleMania is a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities.
Over an 8-week period each spring, colleges across the United States and Canada report the amount of recycling and trash collected each week. The colleges are ranked in various categories based on who recycles the most on a per capita basis, as well as which schools have the best recycling rate as a percentage of total waste and which schools generate the least amount of combined trash and recycling. With each week’s updated ranking, participating schools follow their performance against other colleges and use the results to rally their campus to reduce waste and increase recycling.
National recognition is provided to the winning school in each category on the RecycleMania website and in a national press release. Winning schools receive an award made out of recyclable materials, and win the right to host that category’s special traveling trophy for the coming year.
What Can You Do?
- GET INVOLVED!!!
- Clean your files. (During RecycleMania 2012 Hardin Hall hosted a “File Fling” that resulted in over 1 ton of paper being recycled in just 10 days!)
- Follow UNL Recycling’s Facebook page for competitions and opportunities to participate.
- Contact the Building Maintenance Reprter in your building to inquire about opportunities to help with recycling in your building.
- Make a video about how you and your friends recycle (look on YouTube - you’ll find them).
- Recycle more and waste less!
Our Goals for Recyclemania:
- Create more awareness and attention for UNL’s recycling program and the importance of recycling as a daily behavior.
- Motivate faculty, staff and students to increase recycling efforts while decreasing waste generation.
- Offer student and student groups and opportunity to become involved with sustainability on campus.
- HAVE FUN AND BE CREATIVE!
But not just those, let's also:
- Increase the number of faculty, staff and students participating in UNL’s recycling program.
- Build on the success of previous years by increasing the recycling rate during the competition period (29.5% recycling rate in 2012).
- Recycle more than 325,000 pounds of print paper, mixed paper, office paper, cardboard, plastic, books, and metal.